[mw-reg-national-l] Malawi has the most expensive 1GB of data - is it true?

Bessie Nyirenda bessie at clcom.net
Tue Jul 7 14:05:49 CAT 2020

Dear Dr. Nyirenda

What is the source of data that Carmen Ang used to compile this statistics?
>From visiting the two mobile operator sites I find that daily 1GB data
costs K1800 compared to weekly K2500 and TNM monthly rate of K3500. Using
reserve bank rate of K 744 to a dollar this is only US$ 2.42, US$3.36, and
US$4.70, daily, weekly, monthly respectively. These rates are still high
for Malawian especially now that with Covid-19 requirement to work and
transact more business online.The providers should halve these prices.

Unless the  source of data and year of such source is different, I would
write Carmen for clarity and source of data and point her to the mobile
providers websites.

Regards

Bessie Nyirenda

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 6:45 PM Dr P Nyirenda <paulos at sdnp.org.mw> wrote:

> Some Malawians in the diaspora have been complaining to me that Malawi has
> the most expensive 1GB of mobile data in the world and are citing this web
> page:
>
> https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cost-of-mobile-data-worldwide/
>
> an extract of which says the following:
> ... """"The Most Expensive Countries for 1 GB of Data
> On the other end of the spectrum, here are the top five most expensive
> countries for one gigabyte of mobile data:
> Overall Rank    Country           Average price of 1GB (USD)
> 155      🇲🇼 Malawi        $27.41
> 154      🇧🇯 Benin           $27.22
> 153      🇹🇩 Chad           $23.33
> 152      🇾🇪 Yemen         $15.98
> 151      🇧🇼 Botswana    $13.87
> A striking trend worth noting is that four out of five of the most
> expensive countries for mobile data are in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). """"
>
> So, as practitioners in the ICT sector, is this true?  Do we need to do
> anything about it ?
>
> Or do we have to influence MACRA to do something about it, as some of
> those in the  diaspora seem to be indicating?
>
> Regards,
>
> Paulos
> ======================================
> Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
> Malawi SDNP PC: http://www.sdnp.org.mw
> NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD http://www.registrar.mw
> Chair: MISPA http://www.mispa.org.mw
> Tel:  +265-(0)-882 089 166
> Cell: +265-(0)-888-824787
> WhatsApp: +265-(0)-887386433

> www.avg.com
> <#m_1101750734862330333_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Bessie Nyirenda,
P.O. Box 31374.
Capital City
*Lilongwe 3. *