[mw-reg-national-l] [malawi-isoc-chapter] Malawi has the most expensive 1GB of data - is it true?

Josiah Chavula josiahchavula at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 20:17:48 CAT 2020

Hi Bessie,

It appears the report was based on pay-as-you-go prices, which are indeed
much higher. TNM indicates K25/MB on PAYG [1] , which translates to K25,000
for 1GB (circa $34 for 1GB). For bundle prices, data from Research ICT
Africa <https://researchictafrica.net/ramp_indices_portal/> [2] indicates
the price of 1GB prepaid data in Malawi was around $4.84 by Q4 of 2019.

Bottom line: those who cannot afford the large data bundles (the lowest
income individuals) are the ones paying exorbitant prices for Internet
access.

Regards,
Josiah

[1] https://www.tnm.co.mw/ui/tnm-october/index.php/price-plans?tab=data