[Mispa-management-l] Afrimax Limited: Access to Akamai Cache at MIX

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Wed Nov 13 00:10:53 CAT 2019

On 11 Nov 2019 at 14:11, Kamar Abass wrote:

> Dear Dr. Nyirenda,
>
> We trust you are keeping well.

Thank you for your mail, we are doing well. Allow me to respond to the issues that you have raised in detail as here below.

> We have requested that TNM, our IP connectivity partner, implement a
> connection, for Afrimax's benefit, to the Akamai cache at MIX.

This confirms that  AFRIMAX is connecting to the Internet using TNM as its upstream provider.

We at MISPA are also aware that AFRIMAX made an application to MISPA to connect directly to the MIX but that connection has not been activated by AFRIMAX despite follow-ups by MISPA

> Our original request was made during October 2019 and we understand
> there has been an exchange of information, with MISPA, in this
> connection.

There has been no such exchange with MISPA.

> However, we are concerned that nearly one month later we are yet to achieve the cache connection.
> And we understand that TNM is waiting on feedback from MISPA to complete the required work.

Since there has been no such exchange, MISPA is not aware that it needs to provide any such feedback.

> The impact of this delay, on Afrimax, is to cause it to have to
> purchase more international IP capacity than it would otherwise need
> to.
> It is also adversely impacting Afrimax customers’ quality of experience.

Indeed, having access to Akamai would significantly improve the user experience for Afrimax customers and this is why MISPA implements such CDNs at the MIX

> We should be grateful, therefore, to get your urgent support for the
> implementation of Afrimax’s connection, to the Akamai cache.

Since AFRIMAX is a customer of TNM and is connecting to the MIX through TNM, we at MISPA would need to go through TNM to provide any such support. TNM needs to do BGP announcements of your IP addresses - both IPv4 and IPv6 - at the MIX before you can get any services like Akamai at the MIX.

Do you have your own IPv4 addresses that have been allocated to you by AFRINIC?

Do you know if any such addresses are announced by TNM at the MIX ?

Please send me a traceroute from any part of your network to www.sdnp.org.mw so that we can see how these are routed through the MIX if at all.

> In addition, please let Afrimax know of any actions that it must take
> to facilitate the smooth execution of this connection.

The best action that AFRIMAX can do is to have its own IPv4 address space allocated and make a direct connection to the MIX running its own BGP sessions based on the application that AFRIMAX has already submitted to MISPA.

If you do not have this then our advice is for you to talk to TNM as your upstream provider.

> We humbly request your confirmation that all is in order for the
> connection to be implemented without further delay.

As of now please talk to TNM.

Regards,

Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
Malawi SDNP PC: http://www.sdnp.org.mw