[Civsoc-mw] [NYASANET] The Budget

Tony Thontholani tonytontho at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 18 22:25:09 CAT 2019

There are determined after taking a number of factors into consideration. In my previous post I emphasised on basic needs. And I was very basic. I didn’t talk of culture as part of a basic need, for instance. Progressive thinkers tend converge on cultural consumption as a basic need.
Having said that let me break it down.
a). Labour should bring in dividends both to the buyer and seller of labour. If it doesn’t bring me dividends - from a rational point of view - it is not worth pursuing.
If I spend 160 hours per month selling my labour and still I can’t afford to rent a decent house, I am being exploited. 160 hours, that is 8 hours per day. Work should allow me to pay for societal basic needs. Otherwise, I’ll commit suicide.
b). The consumer base determines a company’s capacity to pay 💰
And here comes the hammer 🔨
c). Comparable incomes within a country and sometimes within an economic bloc. Intranational comparison: How much is Peter’s pay? Compare that with the K35,000. Or, how much is a manager’s pay? Etc etc.

If per hour wage in Zambia is 5£, and in Malawi 1$ don’t be surprised to see labour flight. I’d rather sell my labour in Lusaka than in stinky Lilongwe.