[mw-reg-national-l] poll messages to registrars on .mw domains - expiry monitoring

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Wed Jun 17 11:38:05 CAT 2020

On 16 Jun 2020 at 18:55, admin at malawiwebsite.com wrote:

> Regarding Domain Expiration Dates of Domains, here at Malawi Website Host we
> have a robust system in place that takes care of our clients Domains from
> registration to renewals.

It is good to see that you are automating the registrar operations at Malawi Website Host, as
you have detailed here below,  this is what is expected of a good registrar, automation, so
that registrants and users of your services can access the services online.

Please allow me to provide more details and to correct some of your perceptions here.

> The only issue we are praying that you deeply consider or look into so much
> is having a system in place where we wouldn't need to contact you when ever
> we want to Top-Up our Domain Zones or having one account that subtracts
> funds when ever any Domain Zone is being registered.

As you may already be aware, the payment system in Malawi is still mostly manual. Malawi
payment system has not yet moved online and we received many complaints of this type
from registrars abroad and now even registrars in Malawi.

We often talk to our bankers, National bank of Malawi to get an update on whether we can
now take online or credit card payments and, as late as last week when we made our latest
inquiry, the answer is still no. Our inquiry last week followed a complaint from a .mw domain
user who has a National Bank credit card and wanted to use that to make a credit card
payment for .mw domain service and National bank of Malawi refused to take the payment
asking him to make a bank tranafer.

So unless the payment system in Malawi goes fully online, we will need to continue with
these semi-manual transactions for credit top up.

> Hope the information above has given you an insight on how we, Malawi
> Website Host is doing on the .Mw TLD management on your behalf.

We get the insight, HOWEVER, we would like to CORRECT the perception you seem to
have here that "Malawi Website Host is  doing the .MW TLD management" on behalf of
SDNP.

This is grossly incorrect. What we would like to see is that Malawi Website Host is doing this
as its own business as a registrar doing a sustainable business. You are not doing this on
behalf of anybody, you are doing this because it is your sustainable business to do so.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

PC
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda