[Mispa-management-l] (Fwd) ESSAU- Re: Missing MIX Access card

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Wed Oct 23 18:25:55 CAT 2019

On 23 Oct 2019 at 16:18, Essau Matipwiri wrote:

> PC,
>
> The access card which was allocated to SDNP for the MIX server room is
> missing.

Essau, this is not good.

>  It was on Monday evening after I knocked and I received a call
> from MTL NOC's Mr Dafren Muhamba <Dafren.Muhamba at MTL.mw> that they had
> an emergency at the MIX and they needed access. Fortunately that evening
> I was at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital with my wife, so I told them
> to collect the card within the hospital premises and they did.

I think you made a mistake to give them the card.

You should have found a way to open for them or give them access but you should have kept
your card.

> Since Dafren was on night shift, he claims he left the card on his desk
> where he suspects someone took the access card the following day
> (Tuesday) as he was off duty. I called again today to find out about the
> status but it's still missing.

As you can see, you will find it difficult to trace the card or find some who at MTL will take
responsibility for the card.

> So this is a security breach,

Looks like a serious one.

> I know MTL was supposed to have their
> access card and they probably have one too but I/they (MTL Technical)
> don't know who has MTL's MIX access card.  So I just had to help them
> gain access at the time.

As the Technician responsible for the MIX, you need to be aware of who has these access
cards, please get these details from TNM and keep a record. You should not be saying
"probably" here.

The MTL staff who came to you should have been directed to Rajab first for access and
come to you as the last resort - even then you should only have granted them access but
kept your card.

> As a security measure, I am proposing re-reinstatement of the manual
> locking just to add another security layer as MTL is searching for the
> missing card.  I believe Mr Arthur Mtegha of CoM still has the key which
> used to be at the main gate.

Going manual is a very big step backwards which would inconvinience many MISPA
members.

Please talk to TNM for a better solution such as changing the code on the cards. This will still
inconvinience members as they will be forced to re-submit the cards for the new code.

This is urgent, please act on it as am emmergency.

Regards,

PC
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
Malawi SDNP PC: http://www.sdnp.org.mw