[Mispa-management-l] (Fwd) RE: REQUEST TO PERMIT SUBNET (41.77.8.0/24) VIA MIX

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Tue May 15 15:01:39 CAT 2018

Airtel,
GlobeMw,
Attn: Elizabeth Mandala,

As MISPA chairperson I have been seeing these e-mails from at Globe complaining against
Airtel without any response from Airtel.

Could we please get a response from Airtel so as to have this concluded?

As you must be aware, at the Malawi Internet Exchange - MIX - we are using a route server
for BGP routing and  the route server has the following config under Globe which Globe
submitted for its configuration:

!
ip prefix-list GLOBE seq 5 permit 41.216.228.0/22 le 24
ip prefix-list GLOBE seq 10 permit 41.77.8.0/21 le 24
ip prefix-list GLOBE seq 15 permit 154.66.120.0/21 le 24
ip prefix-list GLOBE seq 20 permit 41.70.40.0/21 le 24
ip prefix-list GLOBE seq 25 permit 41.70.64.0/21 le 24
!

and this is what is being advertised to everyone. In the resulting routing we see the lines:

 *>  41.77.8.0/24     196.223.27.37            0             0 37098 i
 *>  41.77.8.0/21     196.223.27.37                          0 37098 i

So, our understanding is that subnet 41.77.8.0/24 is already permitted via the MIX.

Does all this not cover this case in full?  Is Globe asking for changes to its BGP config at the
MIX ?  Does Airtel need anything else to respond to Globe?

Route server clients at the MIX need to submit any changes in their routing before those
changes can take effect. MISPA members agreed not to use bilateral peering at the MIX, the
agreement is to use the route server for all announcements.

Please let us know whether this answers this query. Globe is of course free to contact Airtel
directly and test if the network 41.77.8.0/24 is reachable from or to Airtel. Please send us the
results of any such tests so that we can help further if needed.

Other MISPA members or MIX peers are welcome to comment on this issue or help to have
it resolved.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda