[civsoc-mw] 2nd volume of Zondo report on State Capture, SA

Dunstain Mwaungulu dfmwaungulu at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 6 04:21:03 CAT 2022

The politician or the most senior officer must be at the heart of
consequential transactions.

I remember myself, when I was appointed a Senior Resident Magistrate in
Lilongwe. One of my weekly duties was to check the accountant cash
transactions and banking to detect fraud or errors.

When I became Registrar, I never allowed processes to be brought to my
office for signature. I spent 4 hours in the registry and staff and I
interacted with lawyers and litigants.

You can imagine how much I prevented.

I think all the effort should be directed to the civil servant at the end
of things. This means at recruitment, training, for retention and
termination INTEGRITY must be asked for, trained on, reinforced.