[civsoc-mw] Suspension of Registration of New Voters in Mangochi North East

trevor chimimba trevorchimimba at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 01:04:49 CAT 2020

I do not think there is a provision that says expressly that a registration is valid for five years. It took the MSCA to clarify that point in relation to an election that is annulled.

That leaves a situation where a by election of an MP because there is a vacancy or an election of the president if there is a vacancy of that office and VP.

My point is given the broad powers that the EC is it logical to taken on open the registration to those that turned 18 since (the other ones are considered already registered for the purpose of the election). This is justified on legitimacy considerations, as reflected in section 77 of the constitution on the franchise. To bar such persons would be unconstitutional.