[civsoc-mw] Keynote Address by the Chairman during Electoral Reforms Conference by NICE

Dunstain Mwaungulu dfmwaungulu at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:54:38 CAT 2020

I for one would offer to write a book on Election law. The problems I have
seen is that there is a huge disconnect between scholarship and the law in
practice. When we rely on for a like these to affect our laws we fall in
the same errors where suggestions are made from just a policy perspective
without a critique. Mind you the Parliamentary and Presidential Elections
Act, 1993 was based on the 1966 Cobstitution. Subsequent reforms to the Act
were made with no regard to the changes brought by the 1994 Constitution.
As we write, judicial pronouncements of the 1994 election are not even out
on the law reports. They were actually not included. As a result they could
not inform the present discourse.

The error was that consultants were brought in who never even reviewed the
Act in relation to the 1994 Constitition and were not on the ground to see
how the Act and Constitution work in theory and practice. There was an
aloofness in the reforms post 1994. As you are probably aware, judicial
decisions of the 1994

I read the Chairman's PhD thesis on elections and it might be interesting
to remind him of somethings there said.