[civsoc-mw] 50+1 for Councillors and MPs

Adamson S. Muula amuula at medcol.mw
Wed Oct 14 15:21:23 CAT 2020

My understanding of the law is that there is nothing that can be done re:
MPS and Councillors who are holding office now, regardless of the 50+1
ruling. No one has complained to the courts and the courts will do nothing
about it. Were someone to now complain to the court, I guess they would
have to look at whether they are complaining in good time after the
announcement of the results. Otherwise it leaves the system very fluid
where in the 4th year of an elected official, claimants could still come in
saying they have problems with the elections which happened 4 years ago.
Kind regards,

adamson

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 21:22, KPD <maluwakpd at gmail.com> wrote:

> KBK,
>
> It is creating a bit of a problem. They should have waited for the 2024
> elections to implement that.
>
> The presidential elections were ok because, in any case, they were
> nullified. Imagine the situation now where all current MPs and Councillors
> were elected by simple majority. If you implement 50+1 then we are saying
> that all of them were illegally. Their election should be nullified and
> another election should be conducted.
>
> I believe, like we have ignored several sections, the issue could have
> been referred to parliament so that they can ratify the section.
>
> It is a good move though. We will not havr so many independents and
> chancers.
>
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020, 20:56 Keyboard Boyd Kilembey, <kkilembe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We can have 50+1 with councillors and parliamentaruand but what happens
>> if none gets 50+1? Do we do another rerun with the same candidates or we
>> conduct a run off. Are we getting good money on the investment or this is
>> just show biz? The concept of 50+1 is good though i think it rigged the
>> elections against dpp.what were they thinking? They thought they could get
>> 50+1 with udf? Really ? They should have gunned to partner Chilima.  They
>> should have swallowed their pride. Right now their corrupt supporters would
>> still be stealing. Remember they openly told us those who have Bern
>> arrested are their loyal supporters.
>>
>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020, 20:33 KPD, <maluwakpd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Should we use majority or Simple majority in the election of councillors
>>> and MPs?
>>>
>>> We need to change the Presidential and Parliamentary Elections Act. We
>>> can't have MPs and Councillors elected using 50+1. And we can't have the
>>> whole parliament not elected on 50+1 and subject those in by-elections to
>>> different interpretation.
>>>
>>> Something is not right.

Adamson S. Muula PhD, MPH, MBBS, CPH, PGDip (Public Health Ethics), PGDip
(Global Health), PGD (Palliative Care)
Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
University of Malawi, College of Medicine
School of Public Health and Family Medicine
Department of Public Health
Chimutu Building Room 850
Private Bag 360, Chichiri
Blantyre 3