[civsoc-mw] Transport situation and hired vehicles,

'SANGWANI MWAFULIRWA' via MEC Updates MECupdates at googlegroups.com
Sun Jun 21 20:23:50 CAT 2020

Dear Sir/Madam,
Here is an excerpt from the MEC chairman, Justice Dr Chifundo Kachale's speech during a press conference held today at the National tally centre in Blantyre to give an update on preparation for elections on 23 June 2020.++++++++++++++++++++++
Transport situation and hired vehicles,

For the Fresh Presidential Election, the Commissionneeds 386 trucks. On Thursday, 18th June, 2020 during a NationalElections Consultative Forum (NECOF) I reported that we had 60 trucks giving ashortfall of 226 trucks. Today the Commission wishes to update the nation thatwe have hired the 226 trucks which have been inspected by the Plant and VehicleHire and Engineering Services (PVHES) and are being deployed.

On Thursday we had a shortfall of 1,379 stationwagons because government had mobilized 1,067 vehicles of the 2,446 we require.Today the Commission wishes to inform all stakeholders that we have hired 1,379station wagons to meet the shortfall.

The Commission has also hired 60 station wagonsand double cabins for use in voter mobilization and education campaign. Thesehave been mounted with loudhailer equipment and have been dispatched to thecouncils. With the coming in of Covid-19 pandemic, the commission has beenforced to abandon some of the strategies for public outreach like meetings withtraditional leaders because they bring a lot of people to one place which canmake observance of physical distance difficult to achieve.

The Commission is satisfied that transport is nolonger an issue that could hamper the effective delivery of the election onTuesday.

Sangwani MwafulirwaDirector, Media and Public RelationsMalawi Electoral CommissionPrivate Bag 113
Blantyre, Malawi CELL: 0 999 274 304, 0881 375 349SKYPE: sangwa79