[Civsoc-mw] Andrea Long Chu on Her Debut Book, ‘Females’

Louis Nthenda louisnthenda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 04:37:20 CAT 2019

Libel (and slander) are pernicious and the majority of readers will take
the libel as truth and remember it long afterwards and pass it on and very
few will have read its rebuttal and pass it on. It was because of this that
I felt compelled to take the Daily Times of Nigeria to court when their
scandal week end paper The Lagos Week End published an article connecting
me to a non-existent sex scandal at Ahmadu Bello University in 1974 under a
front page headline "ABU Lecturer in Sex Scandal" clearly identifying a Dr
Louis Nthenda, a Malawian, etc. The Vice Chancellor set up a Commission of
Inquiry, only to discover (a) there was no sex with any student as
mentioned in the article and (b) I was not even resident on the Campus at
the material time as I had been away on 6 months' sabbatical 200km plus
away attached to one of a State Ministry of Planning and Economic
Reconstruction.

I had no choice but to take the paper to Court, The case was heard before
Mr Justice Mohammed Bello of the Kaduna High Court whose verdict in my
favour created a new principle / precedent in libel law:
3.2 Libel Actionable Per SayThis means that whenever a libel is published,
the law will presume that damage has been caused to the plaintiff’s
reputation and will award him by way of compensation.In case of NTHENDA VS.
ALADE reported in 1974, 4 East Central State Law reports (ECSLR) page 470,
the plaintiff brought an action against the proprietor, the editor and a
reporter of the Lagos weekend newspaper alleging that an article published
in the newspaper was defamatory of him. The defendants argued that the
plaintiff’s action should fail, as he had not proved that he had suffered
any actual damage
as a consequence of the publication. Judge rejected this contention saying
that in an action for libel, the plaintiff need not prove malice in law and
need not prove that he has suffered any actual damage as a result of the
publication.  Both malice and damage are presumed from the publication
itself, in the absence of lawful excuse. In case of WILLIAMS VS. WEST
AFRICA PILOT reported in 1961, NO 1, All Nigeria Law Report, Page 866 it
was held that once a publication has been found to be libel, the
acknowledges damages. See also the case of CARONER VS. lawSketch Publishing
Company Ltd, reported in 1979, 3 Law Reports of TheNigeria (LRN), pg. 276).
The plaintiff is entitled to recover a large sum if, in a libel action, he
can prove that he suffered actual damage.