[Civsoc-mw] [NYASANET] Firewoood

Adamson S. Muula amuula at medcol.mw
Mon May 13 21:47:39 CAT 2019

Britain had pumped into Malawi £4.5 billion over 50 years. How much money
has Malawi pumped into Britain? And how much of the £4.5 billion that
Britain has pumped back into Britain?

On Mon, 13 May 2019 at 21:43, Tony Thontholani <tonytontho at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Haven’t I read somewhere recently that the British Government pumped £4.5
> billion into Malawi?
> That amount should be enough, I guess, to realise clean energy for the
> whole country. We could even have been exporting energy.
>
> Even at the boarding school I went to, cooks used firewood to prepare
> food. No wonder the dudes were sweating all the time 😓
>
> But imagine how many trees were cut down to feed us?
>
> Our school was electrified but someone somewhere thought firewood was good
> for the preparation of red beans and hard starchy porridge.
> > On 13. May 2019, at 20:29, Joel Jere <jwjere at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Many Malawians in the rural areas can not afford to pay the substantial
> > electricity bills that come with an electric cooker. Even when power
> lines
> > pass over a village only 5% can afford the connection fee.

Adamson S. Muula PhD, MPH, MBBS, CPH, PGDip (Public Health Ethics), PGDip
(Global Health), PGD (Palliative Care)
Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
University of Malawi, College of Medicine
School of Public Health and Family Medicine
Department of Public Health
Chimutu Building Room 850
Private Bag 360, Chichiri
Blantyre 3