[Civsoc-mw] MEC Lilongwe burglarly worries

John Lwanda lwanda2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 2 12:13:59 CAT 2019

perhaps I watch too many detective programmes.From the VERY good pictures on social media:break in was FROM inside; the flowers were hardly disturbedwindow grille appears pushed FROM insideIs the glass broken?
Someone must - allegedly - have had keysor the police guard were - allegedly - sleepingjohn
John Lwanda      On Thursday, 2 May 2019, 11:34:55 GMT+3, Dr P Nyirenda <paulos at sdnp.org.mw> wrote:

It seems good to see from the media that MEC is satisfied that no computers were stolen during the break-in at the regional MEC offices in Lilongwe in the past two days.
However, these days it is access to the computers that matters and in this case it appears that those who broke-in may have had more than six hours access to MEC premises and hence the burglars had access to MEC computers and communications network for a very long time.
In addition it is what is on the computer that really matters and the burglars had more than six hours access to what is on those computers, to copy it, to analyse it or even to put their own content and systems on those computers and network.
>From the pictures of the window where these burglars entered, it appears obvious that they had no intention of getting out any item as large as a computer, the window opening was not large enough for that
What may also be of worry is that the break in took place just a day before MEC conducts a test run of its results reporting system for the 2019 elections to take place less than 3 weeks away.
So MEC may need to do further analysis, did the burglars switch on and successfully logon to the computers, did they change anything on the network interfaces, are there any file modifications on those computers, is the network not tampered with, is the cctv system tampered with ? etc
Regards,
Paulos======================Dr Paulos B NyirendaNIC.MW & .mw ccTLDhttp://www.registrar.mw

dangerous content byMailScanner, and is