[Civsoc-mw] [NYASANET] Assisted Suicide

Tony Tontholani tonytontho at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 02:28:54 CAT 2019

The suicide in the link you posted is another kind of suicide. At 18, 20 and 29 you have assumedly a longer span of life than someone so sick at Queen Elizabeth.
Again, let's say that our Person A [let's call him Daniel Phiri, and Dan on a friendly basis].

Dan is sick. Really sick. Matenda aja oyang'anira pa mtima: kodi akupuma? Matenda a kaya-kaya!
Dan has been in and out of Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital for a number of years. This time he has spent two months there. He has lost hope. Doctors know that sooner or later Dan will die.
Now, in our society, illness is very expensive. Dan's employers have fired him. His landlord has evacuated him. His property is at his old mother's house in Chirimba. Dan knows he will die. He doesn't want to trouble his mother anymore - walking every day from Chirimba to Queens to visit him on a deathbed and bring him nsima ya matemba okazinga ndi repu - Dan's favourite dish.
One day, Dan tells his Doc: "Doc, please, help me die."
The Doc refuses. Is the Doc doing Dan a favour for refusing to assist him go six-feet-under quick-quick? What is the purpose of seeing him slowly die in pain?