[Civsoc-mw] {Disarmed} FW: SAIIA Dispatches: our latest work 🐟

cammack at mweb.co.za cammack at mweb.co.za
Mon Dec 2 17:12:28 CAT 2019

Perhaps some new items of interest. D

From: SAIIA <info at saiia.org.za>
Sent: 02 December 2019 12:37
To: cammack at mweb.co.za
Subject: SAIIA Dispatches: our latest work 🐟

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=73660343ad&e=9783d57406>

  <https://gallery.mailchimp.com/aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a/images/1ffefadb-7ee9-4264-b1a3-c91e66de2d42.jpg>

Image: Getty, AndamanSE

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=a7f5a4ef14&e=9783d57406> Marine and coastal ecosystems-based adaptation for enhanced resilience in Mozambique

Mozambique’s coastline is rich in coastal and marine biodiversity, with several areas of outstanding ecological and biological importance, including Africa’s second-most extensive mangrove forest. Unfortunately, human action endangers the health and resilience of all these ecosystems.

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=e23e3e7916&e=9783d57406> Poor in Africa south of the Sahara face rising disproportionate risks from extreme weather

Extreme precipitation could have disproportionately negative consequences on poverty levels in Africa south of the Sahara, including reducing food availability and agricultural income, and increasing commodity prices. Unexpectedly, dry spells seem to have a comparatively uncertain impact on welfare conditions.

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=420ad9f673&e=9783d57406> Platform governance of political speech

Stories had long been simmering about Cambridge Analytica’s association with illicit data harvesting, but why would a company associated with a US presidential election or a vote on the future of the European Union be involved in a general election in an African country?

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=8ccfc00688&e=9783d57406> BRICS 3.0 and India: making the world safe for bilaterals and trilaterals

It is an important harbinger of things to come that the 11th BRICS Summit – which recently concluded in Brasilia – barely registered in the collective consciousness of India’s foreign policy elite.

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=bfa39a5180&e=9783d57406> China-Africa podcast

Our senior researcher, Dr Cobus van Staden, along with veteran Asia-based journalist Eric Olander, host a regular podcast on China's engagement across Africa. Recent episodes looked at the rise of Chinese private sector investment in Africa; surging Chinese demand for donkey hides pushing the animal’s population in Africa to the brink of collapse; and the launch of the most recent phase of the Chinese-funded standard gauge railway in Kenya.

Upcoming events

  <https://gallery.mailchimp.com/aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a/images/5869948e-aad2-4bce-a98e-29db0aa6bc68.jpg>

Image: Getty, Emanuel M Schwermer

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=d06ca50602&e=9783d57406> Introducing electric vehicles to Southern Africa

5 December: Crowne Plaza Hotel, Rosebank, Johannesburg: As the electrical vehicle takes the world by storm, you are invited to our ground-breaking conference on introducing this mode of transport to Southern Africa and what it could mean for the region’s development. This is the first report of SAIIA’s new Futures Project.

Past events

  <https://gallery.mailchimp.com/aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a/images/a65598ba-c038-46ae-b2a8-2a37db03a2d5.png>

Image: Getty, Jemal Countess

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=5c14634c45&e=9783d57406> Mozambique’s post-election future

Dr Alex Vines of Chatham House recently visited SAIIA and spoke on Mozambique’s outlook following the tense October elections. Click the link above to watch the video.

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=c6653fc29e&e=9783d57406> New dimensions of growth and development in Africa

This conference unpacked growth and development in Africa in the context of trade, infrastructure and the fourth industrial revolution. Click the link above to view the speakers’ presentations.

Opportunities

Do you  <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=6e09727df9&e=9783d57406> have what it takes to join our diverse, multi-disciplinary team or contribute to our research? We accept applications for fellowships and internships year-round and regularly put out calls for research submissions.

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=15fd4ed7d9&e=9783d57406>

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=f208729853&e=9783d57406> Share

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=8cd90b9708&e=9783d57406>

 <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=5105998ac9&e=9783d57406> Tweet

 <http://us17.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=6c99db6fd1&e=9783d57406>

 <http://us17.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=6c99db6fd1&e=9783d57406> Forward to Friend

The conclusions and recommendations of any SAIIA publication are solely those of its author(s), and do not reflect the views of the Institute, its management, or its other scholars. The Institute does not take any party-political stance on any matter.

SAIIA promises to protect the privacy and confidentiality of all personal information provided.
Go to  <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=a523660441&e=9783d57406> www.saiia.org.za/privacy-policy for more information.

Our mailing address is:
 <mailto:info at saiia.org.za> info at saiia.org.za <mailto:info at saiia.org.za>

  <https://saiia.us17.list-manage.com/track/open.php?u=aa16a154acb9fd463a75ee98a&id=6c99db6fd1&e=9783d57406>