[Civsoc-mw] FW: Discussion Paper 05/2019, 'Malawi's May 2019 Elections'

Adamson S. Muula amuula at medcol.mw
Wed Apr 10 07:57:05 CAT 2019

Seriously, the issues in this document outside my expertise.
However, I had a few observation:

1. The assertion that no country has every developed from subsistence agric
is interesting to. While we ought to learn from others, but would a
different approach help? How can Malawi develop out of subsist agric when
no other country has developed using subsistence agric?

2. How can subsistence agric drive the Malawi economy?

3. Can anyone win the Malawi presidency without fratenizing or appearing to
do so to subsistence farmers?

Again, Malawi for me is a complex case.
Despite all the evidence at least in nutrition circles that nsima is
nutritionally inferior to other foods (potatoes, millet), many, even when
they know, choose to keep quiet and even grow more maize and eat more white
nsima!

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 10:31, <cammack at mweb.co.za> wrote:

> I haven’t read this yet, so don’t shoot the messenger… d

Adamson S. Muula PhD, MPH, MBBS, CPH, PGDip (Public Health Ethics), PGDip
(Global Health), PGD (Palliative Care)
Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
University of Malawi, College of Medicine
School of Public Health and Family Medicine
Department of Public Health
Chimutu Building Room 850
Private Bag 360, Chichiri
Blantyre 3