[Civsoc-mw] [NYASANET] Little evidence of Malawian middle class beyond confines of expat community

Tony Thontholani tonytontho at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 9 18:51:45 CAT 2019

My friend moved to Lusaka a couple of years ago. After having settled down in the city, he wrote me saying that he does not know how any sane Malawian would choose to continue living in Malawi.

I wrote back and said that all of us shouldn’t leave the country. Some of us should bear the burden of being born into the Malawian society. At least we have Lake Malawi, plenty of water 💦, something others don’t have.

Talking about golf: I don’t cherish that sport. When I was a cub reporter I had the misfortune to be assigned to cover golf at Limbe Country Club. 🏌🏿I felt out of place.

Since that day I look at that sport with a jaundiced eye. The black snobs I saw there rattled the hell out of me. They behaved as if their home villages are paved with gold— as if they don’t visit the toilet. As if all the women in their home villages walk or can walk for Chanel, Hermes, Dolce and Gabbana in Paris.

The upstarts were an annoying lot.

Months later I interviewed the GM of Oilcom for Business Day of South Africa. He ended the face to face interview by saying that he had golf to play.

I darted out of the room.