[Civsoc-mw] [BwalolaAphunzitsi] Re: [HigherEdMalawi] ‘That we be free from fear’: Thoughts on education and Malawi at 54

Louis Nthenda louisnthenda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 01:01:33 CAT 2018

To some of us, Prof, increases in enrollment is a better solution in terms
of the economies of scale, -  capital costs, running costs, etc. It Isn't
as if the current universities are bursting at the seams with students. In
1970, I was on the staff of Ahmadu Bello University in Northern Nigeria,
founded in 1962, roughly around the same time as UNIMA. ABU had a student
intake of 426 in its year of opening. Today it's web site says it has an
enrollment of 35,000 students. Would a new university in Malawi be a better
solution than using the resources to double or treble Unima's intake and
double or treble the enrollments at each of the other 3 public
universities?  Send some academic administrators to observe how in Africa
some universities can manage such huge student numbers.