[Civsoc-mw] [Malawitalk] Re: Fwd: Ma lawi the name

Louis Nthenda louisnthenda at gmail.com
Sat May 27 13:43:01 CAT 2017

In 2008 I took a day trip by car to Lichinga, the capital of Niassa
Province - a beautiful tarred road from the Malawi border all the way to
Lichinga, built with EU funds. Although I'm half Yao I don't speak the
lingo and since we were going on some business I had to take a Yao speaker
as interpreter from Zomba.  Yao like all languages has dialects and there
were bits they couldn't understand each other. Lichinga is deep enough into
Mozambique that Chinyanja is only a "minor" language there.

If you are on a day trip, you have to be back at the Mozambican side of the
border by 6 p.m. when the Mozambicans close the border. We arrived late
just after 6 pm and we had to go to the Immigration officer's house and had
a hell of a problem to persuade him to open the border. I was refusing to
pay a "fine", but I think I did, I don't quite remember. He had the upper
hand. It took over an hour for him to let us leave. Lichinga is a clean
beautiful town. Good food. Well dressed. Go and visit it when you have
time. These days you need a passport. Some of the Government people spoke
very good English, but otherwise, if you don't know Portuguese I suggest
take a Yao speaker with you. That's the lingua franca there.

*Niassa* is a province
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_Mozambique> of Mozambique
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique>. It has an area of 122,827 km2and
a population of 1,027,037 (2006).[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niassa_Province#cite_note-1> It is the most
sparsely populated province in the country.[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niassa_Province#cite_note-a-2> Lichinga
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichinga> is the capital of the province.
There are a minimum estimated 450,000 Yao people
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yao_(ethnic_group_in_Africa)> living in
Mozambique. They largely occupy the eastern and northern part of the Niassa
province and form about 40% of the population of Lichinga, the capital of
this province.

The Ruvuma River <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruvuma_River> forms much of
the northern boundary of the province with Tanzania
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzania> while Lake Niassa
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Niassa> forms the western border of the
province, separating it from Malawi <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malawi>.
75% of the province remains untouched by development, and remains free of
landmines <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmine>.[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niassa_Province#cite_note-a-2> The province
shares the Niassa National Reserve
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niassa_Reserve> with neighboring Cabo