[Civsoc-mw] [Malawitalk] Re: Fwd: Ma lawi the name

Mzondi W.J. Moyo mzondimoyo at yahoo.com
Sun May 28 11:05:45 CAT 2017

I had a three nights trip to Lichinga in 2012. It's a beautiful city really, unfortunately with a huge and congested grass thatched slums, courtesy of civil war. Roads in the city were wide, clean and formed hexagonal(or pentagonal?) rings. Language was total trouble apart from our official translator. A yao tradeswoman from mangochi came to our rescue. She advised us on several things  including discipline. 10 pm joints are closed and police effectively enforced it. We visited three more districts. Two newly declared, on Sanga and the other one I could not remember. One thing struck me. Careful road planning. Double lane earth roads! They are very serious and with visionAt the time we were closing into their country, at chiponde, whilst for clearance, 4 vehicles left with chickens from Malawi. We were told that we were going to eat own chickens. And in support of Prof Nthenda visit it but be ready for road taxes at the border. Forgot something. We were showed, from a distance, a house where sister to Michel Mlambala our former was livingMzondi

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 13:43, Louis Nthenda<louisnthenda at gmail.com> wrote:   In 2008 I took a day trip by car to Lichinga, the capital of Niassa Province - a beautiful tarred road from the Malawi border all the way to Lichinga, built with EU funds. Although I'm half Yao I don't speak the lingo and since we were going on some business I had to take a Yao speaker as interpreter from Zomba.  Yao like all languages has dialects and there were bits they couldn't understand each other. Lichinga is deep enough into Mozambique that Chinyanja is only a "minor" language there.
If you are on a day trip, you have to be back at the Mozambican side of the border by 6 p.m. when the Mozambicans close the border. We arrived late just after 6 pm and we had to go to the Immigration officer's house and had a hell of a problem to persuade him to open the border. I was refusing to pay a "fine", but I think I did, I don't quite remember. He had the upper hand. It took over an hour for him to let us leave. Lichinga is a clean beautiful town. Good food. Well dressed. Go and visit it when you have time. These days you need a passport. Some of the Government people spoke very good English, but otherwise, if you don't know Portuguese I suggest take a Yao speaker with you. That's the lingua franca there.
Niassa is a province of Mozambique. It has an area of 122,827 km2and a population of 1,027,037 (2006).[1] It is the most sparsely populated province in the country.[2] Lichinga is the capital of the province. There are a minimum estimated 450,000 Yao people living in Mozambique. They largely occupy the eastern and northern part of the Niassa province and form about 40% of the population of Lichinga, the capital of this province.

The Ruvuma River forms much of the northern boundary of the province with Tanzania while Lake Niassa forms the western border of the province, separating it from Malawi. 75% of the province remains untouched by development, and remains free of landmines.[2] The province shares the Niassa National Reserve with neighboring Cabo Delgado Province