[Civsoc-mw] Why brutalising food vendors hits Africa's growing cities where it hurts

Tony Thontholani tonytontho at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 14:19:37 CAT 2017

Hygiene enthusiasts are not against food vending. They are against conditions under which the vending is done.
On my way to Chikuli in October last year, I saw a butcher's store just after Gadaga. The meat was in the open, coated with flies.
On my way to back to the City 🌃 some folks loaded kilos of meat in a minibus to be sold, I suppose, at Blantyre market. They put the fresh meat in sacks, and times blood would ooze out of the sacks.

Such things make one pray for entrepreneurship. A sharp entrepreneur would see that there is need for an abattoir and proper meat stalls. All the animal farmers 👨‍🌾  around Gadaga and Nkula Turnoff would be bringing their animals to the slaughterhouse. And city inspectors would be dealing with the owner of the slaughterhouse directly.

It is easy to control the spread of diseases that way.

One would need a certificate from a slaughterhouse to prove that the meat being sold at the market has gone through their doors.

In other words, you can't just slaughter a goat 🐐 and sell it, whether it is diseased or not, as is the current case.

You can slaughter your disease chicken and eat it yourself but hell no don't sell it to the public.