[mw-reg-national-l] Malawi has the most expensive 1GB of data - is it true?

Talumba Chirwa talumbachirwa at payrope.com
Wed Jul 8 11:55:24 CAT 2020

Hello

>From what I have gathered online. The point of contention of the reports also seems to be that the internationally accepted measure of 1GB is not what is being enforced in the actual metering at telcos in MW.

This is ofcourse speculation as of now, but it seems that is the crux of the matter. That what we believe is 1GB is in actual fact not. In this case what needs to also be investigated is how MACRA monitors and ensures 1GB is being calculated and metered accurately in bytes by telcos.

Regards,

Talumba.

Get Outlook for Android

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 2:15 PM +0200, "Bessie Nyirenda" <bessie at clcom.net> wrote:

Dear Dr. Nyirenda

What is the source of data that Carmen Ang used to compile this statistics? From visiting the two mobile operator sites I find that daily 1GB data costs K1800 compared to weekly K2500 and TNM monthly rate of K3500. Using reserve bank rate of K 744 to a dollar this is only US$ 2.42, US$3.36, and US$4.70, daily, weekly, monthly respectively. These rates are still high for Malawian especially now that with Covid-19 requirement to work and transact more business online.The providers should halve these prices.

Unless the  source of data and year of such source is different, I would write Carmen for clarity and source of data and point her to the mobile providers websites.

Regards
Bessie Nyirenda

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 6:45 PM Dr P Nyirenda <paulos at sdnp.org.mw> wrote:

Some Malawians in the diaspora have been complaining to me that Malawi has the most
expensive 1GB of mobile data in the world and are citing this web page:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cost-of-mobile-data-worldwide/

an extract of which says the following:
... """"The Most Expensive Countries for 1 GB of Data
On the other end of the spectrum, here are the top five most expensive countries for one
gigabyte of mobile data:
Overall Rank    Country           Average price of 1GB (USD)
155      🇲🇼 Malawi        $27.41
154      🇧🇯 Benin           $27.22
153      🇹🇩 Chad           $23.33
152      🇾🇪 Yemen         $15.98
151      🇧🇼 Botswana    $13.87
A striking trend worth noting is that four out of five of the most expensive countries for mobile
data are in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). """" ...

So, as practitioners in the ICT sector, is this true?  Do we need to do anything about it ?

Or do we have to influence MACRA to do something about it, as some of those in the
diaspora seem to be indicating?

Regards,

Paulos
======================================