[mw-reg-national-l] Malawi has the most expensive 1GB of data - is it true?

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Mon Jul 6 18:41:27 CAT 2020

Some Malawians in the diaspora have been complaining to me that Malawi has the most
expensive 1GB of mobile data in the world and are citing this web page:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cost-of-mobile-data-worldwide/

an extract of which says the following:
... """"The Most Expensive Countries for 1 GB of Data
On the other end of the spectrum, here are the top five most expensive countries for one
gigabyte of mobile data:
Overall Rank	Country	Average price of 1GB (USD)
155	 Malawi	$27.41
154	 Benin	$27.22
153	 Chad	$23.33
152	 Yemen	$15.98
151	 Botswana	$13.87
A striking trend worth noting is that four out of five of the most expensive countries for mobile
data are in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). """" ...

So, as practitioners in the ICT sector, is this true?  Do we need to do anything about it ?

Or do we have to influence MACRA to do something about it, as some of those in the
diaspora seem to be indicating?

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda