[Mispa-management-l] ipv6 interface - MIX router - RE: MTL - NITEL - SKYBAND - route server config - RE: ROUTE OF 102.176.250.0 /24

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Tue Jun 4 11:04:55 CAT 2019

On 4 Jun 2019 at 7:06, Clement Ngoma wrote:

> Dr,
>
> Yes this IP block 105.234.0.0/16 can be removed from the our prefix-list as it an old setting.

Great, I have taken this out of the prefix-list to show a new config as here attached.

> I have noticed the attached config interface g0/1 has an IP "ipv6
> address 2001:43F8:380::/64 eui-64" it's not the best way of doing this
> as we will not be able to know the IP address of the interface.

I am glad to see that this has provoked this response. Under cisco systems this is one way of
assigning an IP address that is well documented.

I did see that it gives the interface a longer IPv6 address but I decided to give it a go anyway
... in this testing pahse.

> My suggestion is "ipv6 address 2001:43F8:380::2/64" so we can ping the interface currently it's not pingable.

As you can see here below, you can ping the interface with this address
2001:43F8:380:0:7EAD:74FF:FE2C:9841 which is what that command gives to the interface
and it works just fine, other than it is not intuitively identifiable ... but no IPv6 address can
claim to be so.

Using  "ipv6 address 2001:43F8:380::2/64" as you have suggested also works, is less fun :-)
but I guess gives a more intuitive address as you can see in the attached config now in place.
And as you can also see here below you can also ping the interface using this config.

If you prefer the config this way then I will leave it like that even though both formats are
usable.

Now, can you ping the interface on the IPv6 address  2001:43F8:380::2/64 ?

Can you suggest config lines to wake up IPv6 BGP peering on the route server ?

Regards,

Paulos
======================
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD
http://www.registrar.mw

route-server-01>
route-server-01>
route-server-01>ping ipv6 2001:43F8:380:0:7EAD:74FF:FE2C:9841
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 2001:43F8:380:0:7EAD:74FF:FE2C:9841, timeout is 2
seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/1 ms
route-server-01>

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 description Transit
 ip address 196.223.27.2 255.255.255.0
 no ip redirects
 no ip proxy-arp
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 ipv6 address 2001:43F8:380::2/64
 ipv6 nd ra suppress
 no keepalive
 no cdp enable
 no mop enabled
!

route-server-01>sh ipv6 interface
GigabitEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up
  IPv6 is enabled, link-local address is FE80::7EAD:74FF:FE2C:9841
  No Virtual link-local address(es):
  Global unicast address(es):
    2001:43F8:380::2, subnet is 2001:43F8:380::/64
  Joined group address(es):
    FF02::1
    FF02::2
    FF02::1:FF00:2
    FF02::1:FF2C:9841
  MTU is 1500 bytes
  ICMP error messages limited to one every 100 milliseconds
  ICMP redirects are enabled
  ICMP unreachables are sent
  ND DAD is enabled, number of DAD attempts: 1
  ND reachable time is 30000 milliseconds (using 30000)
  ND advertised reachable time is 0 (unspecified)
  ND advertised retransmit interval is 0 (unspecified)
  ND router advertisements are sent every 200 seconds
  ND router advertisements live for 1800 seconds
  ND advertised default router preference is Medium
  ND RAs are suppressed (periodic)
  Hosts use stateless autoconfig for addresses.
route-server-01>

route-server-01#
route-server-01#ping ipv6 2001:43F8:380::2
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 2001:43F8:380::2, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!