[Mispa-management-l] (Fwd) Re: [af-ix] IXP port fee

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Thu Dec 20 09:27:31 CAT 2018

Subject:	[SPAM] Re: [af-ix] IXP port fee
To:	Dr P Nyirenda <paulos at sdnp.org.mw>, af-ix at af-ix.net
From:	Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz>
Date sent:	Wed, 19 Dec 2018 20:13:41 +0300

Hi Dr Paulos,

 > Do you have additional fees at TIX for providing content services like
 > GGC, Akamai, etc ?

We're not charging for GGC, it's free for every peer, for
networks/prefixes/users in Tanzania. It's hosted by Seacom and make
available at TIX "for free". It actually costs us
a) a substantial cross-connect fee, and
b) occasional repair costs of the fiber connecting it to TIX
the fiber was "organised" by the ministry.

Akamai:
It's located at TIX - so you can say it costs us power - and upstream
bandwidth provided (after a tender process) by one operator, and each
peer wanting to get the Akamai "service" pays a fee (as per tender) to
the provider. TISPA(TIX) doesn't touch money.

we have at our own facility started to charge peering fees for
connections not used for peering. They are not a factor in
sustainability, and in my opinion mostly to keep the cable [...] at a
minimum.

And finally, to be Frank: we're "supporting" GGC and Akamai by not
charging for these 2 ports.

Regards,
Frank