[civsoc-mw] FW: Latest News and Updates The Brenthurst Foundation

cammack at mweb.co.za cammack at mweb.co.za
Tue Apr 6 12:43:38 CAT 2021

Fyi. d

From: The Brenthurst Foundation <media at thebrenthurstfoundation.org>
Sent: 06 April 2021 12:00

Subject: Latest News and Updates

Dear Subscriber,

The Brenthurst Foundation's Dr Greg Mills and other staff concluded a series of field trips to Malawi with the presentation of a ‘Green Malawi’ strategy to President Lazarus Chakwera on 31 March.

The strategy document, which was drafted at the request of President Chakwera, outlines how Malawi can grow its economy, create jobs and build a more dynamic, green economy around agriculture and tourism. The strategic plan was presented to the president and key ministers in Lilongwe by Dr Mills. He was accompanied by The Brenthurst Foundation Board Members, former heads of state Olusegun Obasanjo and Hailemariam Desalegn.
  <https://mcusercontent.com/1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf/images/8f682f26-5885-41dc-a266-d6d0b2cd48eb.jpg>

President Lazarus Chakwera of Malawi flanked by The Brenthurst Foundation chairman, Olusegun Obasanjo, and board member, Hailemariam Desalegn, shortly after the presentation of the ‘Green Malawi’ plan in Lilongwe

The presentation was followed by the Malawi launch of the book ‘The Asian Aspiration’ at the Bingu Wa Mutharika International Convention Centre in the capital.

 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=17197bbef3&e=0c33472821> President Chakwera, who spoke at the launch, said: “My friends, I want to congratulate you, I want to thank you because of this resource. I’m an avid reader of books and this is one I intend to put to good use.”

“We as Africans have clarity about what we want to make of our countries. We as Africans have clarity about whose prescriptions have helped us over the last fifty years and whose prescriptions have failed us.  <https://mcusercontent.com/1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf/images/b5dd63a1-c24b-4179-aa90-27f61f4ae1d6.jpg>

“When we engage the United States at various levels of government, we do so because we count America among our friends. And when we engage China at various levels of government, it is for the same reason,” he said.

“What we desire is a new approach to development and economic transformation, one that is based on mutual respect. If we are all for the people of Malawi, then we are all on the same team.”

He said Malawi wanted the same things for its people as its development partners wanted for theirs – “freedom, opportunity, self-determination, prosperity and development.”

You can read the president's speech in full  <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=b36b135c6d&e=0c33472821> here.

Here are some pictures from the launch:
  <https://mcusercontent.com/1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf/images/200d9175-925b-4fc8-8d2b-ef0d14509182.jpg>   <https://mcusercontent.com/1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf/images/a1aba103-f1f0-4c31-8c79-68e3b097c0be.jpg>

                                Dr Greg Mills addresses the book launch                                                                          President Lazarus Chakwera

  <https://mcusercontent.com/1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf/images/a71dacf6-3b07-4612-b81d-cf2c35369c9e.jpg>
  <https://mcusercontent.com/1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf/images/5a63c346-6532-424b-9c12-7b76a8877903.jpg>                          Some of the large media contingent at the event
                                                                                                                                                              President Lazarus Chakwera in the audience
  <https://mcusercontent.com/1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf/images/3eb0e2ce-e72f-4577-8485-b1c883ee1988.jpg>
  <https://mcusercontent.com/1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf/images/ded16aaa-9ecc-4dcc-b69c-f048b0687c87.jpg>

                                      President Olusegun Obasanjo speaks

                Former president, Joyce Banda, was in the audience

You can check out out some of the great content on our website to remind yourself of President Chakwera's extraordinary journey, from the 'Tipp-Ex' election to the to the highest office in the land:

*	 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=40dfd6109f&e=0c33472821> Mutharika gets re-elected in Malawi’s Tipp-Ex election
*	 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=92fb2bb957&e=0c33472821> Malawi court’s landmark ruling puts spotlight on foreign observers
*	 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=95bab039cc&e=0c33472821> Malawi’s remarkable election – and fresh opportunity
*	 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=e61e9c94e2&e=0c33472821> Watch the webinar: The lessons from Malawi’s election for Southern Africa’s opposition
*	 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=ac0b73497e&e=0c33472821> ‘Malawi’s productivity agenda’: An interview with President Chakwera
*	 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=9c0cc81bdb&e=0c33472821> Malawi’s lesson for Africa: Tomorrow starts today

And don't forget to pick up your own copy of 'The Asian Aspiration'. You can find a link to buy the book on our  <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=2d9edee65c&e=0c33472821> website.

  <https://mcusercontent.com/1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf/images/16a9b484-de99-4599-8c9b-6bbf196d5e2d.png>

 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=87a1d7631b&e=0c33472821>

 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=c406ed5e53&e=0c33472821>

 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=330a6eac6d&e=0c33472821>

 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=b5b78e54ad&e=0c33472821>

 <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=988d615b1e&e=0c33472821>

In line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) we are taking this opportunity to remind you that we hold your contact information on our secure database. We keep this so that we can update you on the Foundation's progress and inform you of any events or publications that may be of interest.

If you would like us to remove your contact details from our database please unsubscribe from this mailing list.

The Brenthurst Foundation · PO Box 61631 · Marshalltown · Johannesburg, Gauteng 2107 · South Africa

  <https://thebrenthurstfoundation.us15.list-manage.com/track/open.php?u=1d2909e8371686f6db98330bf&id=7450e2a054&e=0c33472821>