[civsoc-mw] (no subject)

KPD maluwakpd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 09:46:17 CAT 2020

Dunstain,

I doubt if KB has followed your argument.

Your argument is the same as asking for volunteers from a group of people.
You have more than enough volunteers and you select the number you need.
Suddenly someone says you have left out those who didn't volunteer.

Women participation in politics and other publicly competed for positions
is rooted in our culture. Women activists in our society are looked at with
disdain. Majority who dare are usually single or become single.

In a society where marriage is highly regarded and sort after, the focus by
our ladies is on what can qualify them as a good wife or wife to be.
Activism or competed for public office doesn't in the nicely fit as a
qualification for marriage.

Back to your post. I would be happy if you provide names of women that were
submitted but left out. Or names of women who are interested and are
capable. Not just the usual noisy ones.

You argument suggests that we should go out there and drag out women,
screaming and kicking and give them positions of responsibility. Up to,
maybe, 1986 no single girl was ever admitted to do Engineering at Poly. I
don't know if they were applying and never got admitted.  It was believed,
at the time, that Engineering was for boys.

Your theories are jumping the gun. You are assuming that we now have
liberated women who are ready to take any responsibility. It is usually
very few names we keep hearing. Has the pool of such ladies grown that we
are now spoiled for choice?

Putting out % for something that you don't have doesn't make sense. If
someone here can give names of capable women who put up their hands and
were not considered then I am game.

We can't assume that Martha or Nini want to be in parastatal  boards if
they haven't shown interestor no one proposed their names. It has taken a
long time for board members to be announced that during that period you
could have submitted names of women who should be appointed.

If that was done then you can come here and say, "I am aware of good
capable women who have been left out because I submitted their names."

What is the solution? Let us go to the basics. Give ourselves time frame,
say by 2025, we should have a pool of bold daring women who can raise their
hands when their services are needed.

How? Train our daughters to think independently and not believe that their
survival and success is dependent on a man or marriage.