[civsoc-mw] Status of voter registration and lock down due to Covid-19

Adamson S. Muula amuula at medcol.mw
Wed Apr 15 15:07:45 CAT 2020

It will be interesting to learn how the decision was made as to choose
which legislation to obey by the MEC.

The Court (legislation) said the elections needed to be completed in the
150 days

The Public Health Regulation (subsidiary legislation of the Public Health
Act) says to preserve life, some activities had to be stopped. Which is
also legislation.

Now we have two pieces of legislation against each other. My sense would be
some body to seek judicial interpretation because two pieces of legislation
here are opposed to each other.

Politically it does not help the MEC because it has been seeking to cancel
voter registration all along and it only continued because the court did
not allow it to stop the exercise. One can only speculate the madness we
will be in as a country following the Supreme Court decision which is
coming in the next 14 days?

I am happy I am living in these times?

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 at 14:15, 'SANGWANI MWAFULIRWA' via MEC Updates <
MECupdates at googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> Please find attached statement from Malawi Electoral Commission regarding
> the status of voter registration in view of the lock down declared by the
> Health Minister on 14 April 2020. The first phase of voter registration
> will end on Thursday, 16 April 2020 (instead of Friday, 17 April, 2020) to
> provide for ample time for retrieval of registration staff and equipment
> before the start of the lock down starts.
>
> regards
> Sangwani Mwafulirwa
> Director, Media and Public Relations
> Malawi Electoral Commission
> Private Bag 113
> Blantyre, Malawi
>
> CELL: 0 999 274 304, 0881 375 349
> SKYPE: sangwa79 <http://www.skype.com/>

> believed to be clean.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/MECupdates/1212875667.551448.1586952606892%40mail.yahoo.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/MECupdates/1212875667.551448.1586952606892%40mail.yahoo.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Adamson S. Muula PhD, MPH, MBBS, CPH, PGDip (Public Health Ethics), PGDip
(Global Health), PGD (Palliative Care)
Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
University of Malawi, College of Medicine
School of Public Health and Family Medicine
Department of Public Health
Chimutu Building Room 850
Private Bag 360, Chichiri
Blantyre 3