[Civsoc-mw] Andrea Long Chu on Her Debut Book, ‘Females’

Adamson S. Muula amuula at medcol.mw
Thu Oct 24 07:36:34 CAT 2019

Sounds reasonable to me/ and if anything, everyone starts of pretty much as
a female when forming in the womb!

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 04:51, Tony Thontholani <tonytontho at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In her first book, *Females*, out later this month, she posits a new
> theory about gender and sexuality, starting with the contention that
> “everyone is female.” (“I get criticized for projecting a lot,” she says
> dryly.) In Chu’s usage, female is a “universal existential condition,”
> defined by submitting to someone else’s desires. For example, even if you
> conceive of yourself as an alpha male who likes to top in bed, the desire
> to dominate is ultimately its own form of submission. “A top,” says Chu,
> “is just a bottom folded into another shape.” So why does she insist on
> calling a universal condition “female”? “Because everyone already does,”
> she writes. Women are the “select delegates” of this state of being.
>

> https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/andrea-long-chu-on-her-debut-book-females.html

> dangerous content by *MailScanner*, and is
> believed to be clean.

Adamson S. Muula PhD, MPH, MBBS, CPH, PGDip (Public Health Ethics), PGDip
(Global Health), PGD (Palliative Care)
Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
University of Malawi, College of Medicine
School of Public Health and Family Medicine
Department of Public Health
Chimutu Building Room 850
Private Bag 360, Chichiri
Blantyre 3