[Civsoc-mw] Doris Day

Tony Thontholani tonytontho at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 21:39:09 CAT 2019

Doris Day, singer of “Que Sera Sera” died on Monday, 13th May, at the age of 97 from complications of pneumonia, according to her foundation (RIP)

MVFB: Doris Day’s hit song “Que Sera Sera” was hugely popular in South Africa in the late 50’s. Legendary golfer, Gary Player selected it as one of his all time favourite songs for the cd entitled ‘The Gary Player Collection’(1999). The Beatles’ Paul McCartney produced recordings of “Que Sera Sera” for Mary Hopkins (1969) and Karen Young (1970), respectively. The latter recording was issue as single in South Africa on Continental PD. 9667.The number was also recorded by Nico Carstens & Cherry Wainer for their album “Flying High”, Columbia 33JS 1107 (late 1950’s). Two local musos, Boet Scheun and Hennie Strydom, recorded an instrumental version (mouth organ/guitar) issued on PêREL 45P 224 (1962?).

Excerpt - Doris Day and Paul McCartney in conversation

PM What about Que Sera Sera? It became your signature song and won an Oscar for Best Original Song [in1956]. Why do you think it stood the test of time?”

DD I really don’t know but it was perfect for the movie [The Man Who Knew Too Much]. I often hear from people about that song. They used to sing their children to sleep with it. Isn’t that sweet?

PM I know you’ve been through a lot of difficulties personally, with the loss of your son Terry Melcher in 2004. Did music help you through the hard times?

DD I’m not sure. I miss my Terry every day. But I keep him here and I’m so happy that he’s singing on the album. I used to love to hear him sing and he should have done more things. I get mail from his friends all the time saying he had so much talent and he was always laid back. He didn’t push himself. He was such a good guy and I loved him dearly.

PM I knew Terry a little bit in the Sixties and he was a really nice man. But you were right, he didn’t push himself. I didn’t either though come to think of it. He was a lovely boy. We love him and hopefully he’s looking down on this album saying ‘I’m proud of you mum

MVFB: Terry Melcher was the producer of US band The Rising Songs, featuring Taj Mahal, Ry Cooder and Kevin Kelly. Kevin toured SA with the Byrds/Staccatos in 1968. The Rising Son’s lone single (Candy man/The devil’s got my woman) was issued in South Africa on CBS SSC 653, 1966. Mahal was invited by SA born Eddie Kramer to play on the Hendrix tribute album “In From The Storm”, 1995. The album was produced and engineered by Kramer.

("Que Sera Sera - popular in South Africa" previously posted on 10 April 2017)

MVFB Team

[Source: Southern African Music Collectibles]