[Civsoc-mw] PhD Fellowships and Masters Fellowships, in bioinformatics, metagenomics and epi

Adamson S. Muula amuula at medcol.mw
Fri Jun 21 11:02:57 CAT 2019

MSc and PhDs in Public Health, Epidemiology, Bioinformatics and/or Genomic
epidemiology at University of the Witwatersrand (RSA), University of
Pittsburgh, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
https://irec.wits.ac.za/OA_HTML/OA.jsp?page=/oracle/apps/irc/candidateSelfService/webui/VisVacDispPG&OAHP=IRC_EXT_SITE_VISITOR_APPL&OASF=IRC_VIS_VAC_DISPLAY&p_svid=80605&p_spid=4049614
Opportunities for post-graduate degrees include MSc and PhD (full time or
part time), registered at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
with supervisors / mentors located at the NICD (CRDM or CHARM).
Proposals should be sent to Dr Anne von Gottberg at NICD at annev at nicd.ac.za
(for opportunities commencing in 2019, deadlines for proposals is 31 July
2019).
Details:
Job Description
Aim of the program : The South Africa-Pitt Public Health Genomic
Epidemiology Training Program (SAPPHGenE) aims to provide South African
investigators with multidisciplinary tools needed to conduct cutting-edge
research in public health genomics. The main focus is research on
epidemiology and genomic epidemiology of bacterial causes of pneumonia,
other respiratory diseases, and invasive bacterial and fungal diseases,
including antimicrobial-resistant pathogens. The program will provide a
combination of non-degree and post-graduate degree training by a
multidisciplinary group of experienced mentors at University of Pittsburgh,
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and NICD.Trainees will
have access to research training opportunities and resources available at
the training sites.SAPPHGenE Internal Scientific Committee : Mignon du
Plessis, Nelesh Govender, Lee Harrison, Anne von GottbergSAPPHGenE External
Training Advisory Committee : Duncan MacCannell, Penny Moore, Alison
Morris, Mark Nicol, Rob WarrenOpportunities for post-graduate degrees
include MSc and PhD (full time or part time), registered at the University
of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg with supervisors / mentors located at
the NICD (CRDM or CHARM).Candidate requirements :

   - Exceptional academic performance
   - Candidates motivation letter
   - Strong letters of recommendation and support (e.g., from previous
   tutors, supervisors or managers)
   - Stated commitment to pursue SAPPHGenE research
   - Identification of a US mentor
   - An in-country mentor committed to provide support after training
   - Highlight likely contributions to research in South Africa

We are offering funds for :

   - Non-taxable payment (not applicable if already getting a salary :
   R250,000.00 annually for PhD students; R180,000.00 for MSc students)
   - Tuition fees and university registration
   - Books and other educational expenses
   - Laptop computer with relevant software

For international training opportunities :

   - All travel expenses (e.g., airfare, visa, incidentals)
   - Non-taxable payment for living expenses and insurance
   - Administrative support for visas

Proposals (maximum 12 pages, font size 11, double-spaced) should contain
the following :

   - Name, title, and institution of the proposed trainee
   - Degree type (e.g., MSc, PhD)
   - Name of department / institution that will be granting the degree
   - Copy of current CV
   - Proposed enrollment date in the degree program
   - Anticipated duration of time to complete degree requirements
   - Date of last Good Clinical and Laboratory Practice (GCLP) training
   - If permanent staff at NICD or other institution how will out-of-office
   training time be handled / planned as not to detrimentally influence
   ongoing operational or research activities letter of support from line
   manager letter of support from institution

Details of proposed training :

   - Institution and location of training
   - Proposed dates of training
   - Nature of training / skills to be learned
   - Mentor(s) in the United States / training site
   - Mentor(s) in South Africa
   - Relevance to research / control of public health genomics /
   metagenomics in South Africa
   - Relevance of training to the mission of trainees home institution
   - Number of planned manuscripts (with proposed titles) that may come
   from this training Proposed timelines for submission of these manuscripts
   - How will this training benefit other students and staff at the
   candidates home institution (mentoring, collaboration etc.)

Project details :

   - Title of the project, Background, Specific aims
   - Methods section, including study design, subject recruitment, sample
   size, analysis
   - Human subjects (including to which institutional review board(s) the
   project will be or has been submitted)
   - Relevance to proposed public health research to needs of South Africa

Grant details https://app.dimensions.ai/details/grant/grant.8387839

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 9:51 AM Richard Munthali <munthalirichard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> Sandwich option for those registered in home country university.
>
> https://twas.org/opportunity/twas-csir-postgraduate-fellowship-programme
> Regards
>
> Richard.
>
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM Arox W. Kamng'ona <awkamngona at medcol.mw>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear team
>>
>> I have been given an opportunity to assist on the course above. Given the
>> expertise within the group, some of you are better placed to help better
>> than I can do. I have a feeling they may need more than one local person
>> assisting on the course.
>>
>> I am yet to gather more information from the Overseases group but that
>> will depend on whether or not we will be available in those dates. I have
>> no doubt in our expertise to handle this.
>>
>> Please take a look at the link and *the attached program*. And could I
>> have feedback from each one of you by noon (Malawian time) tomorrow?
>>
>> This is great for our CV as the bioinformatics team.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>

>> Following up on earlier discussion about your availability for the Malawi
>> course and potential contribution, I am attaching a draft of the programme
>> and a link to the course.
>>
>> https://coursesandconferences.wellcomegenomecampus.org/events/item.aspx?e=660
>>
>> Referring to the above (document and link) are there specific areas which
>> you could contribute in terms of assistance in exercises, and/or provide a
>> talk about some related issues in the region which could be beneficial to
>> the participants. I understand that your participation in the course could
>> be beneficial as you are building up bioinformatics training in Malawi.
>> However we need to be clear on your role and how you can work with or
>> assist the instructors on the course.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Alice
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dr Alice Matimba
>> Overseas Course Development Officer
>>

>> Advanced Courses and Scientific Conferences
>> Wellcome Genome Campus
>> Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA
>> Tel: +44 (0)1223 496882
>> Mobile: +44 (0)7769171985
>> www.wellcomegenomecampus.org/coursesandconferences
>>
>> Follow courses and conferences on Twitter and Facebook:
>> https://twitter.com/ACSCevents | https://www.facebook.com/ACSCevents
>>
>> The Wellcome Genome Campus is home to some of the world’s foremost
>> institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology. We
>> bring together a diverse and exceptional scientific community in a culture
>> and environment that fosters creativity and rewards bold, ambitious
>> thinking. We are committed to delivering life-changing science with the
>> reach, scale and imagination to solve some of humanity’s greatest
>> challenges.
>>

> Adamson S. Muula PhD, MPH, MBBS, CPH, PGDip (Public Health Ethics), PGDip
(Global Health), PGD (Palliative Care)
Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
University of Malawi, College of Medicine
School of Public Health and Family Medicine
Department of Public Health
Chimutu Building Room 850
Private Bag 360, Chichiri
Blantyre 3