[Civsoc-mw] journalism job

cammack at mweb.co.za cammack at mweb.co.za
Thu Jun 6 16:18:14 CAT 2019

Economist jobs. We're hiring a journalist to write about Africa

 <https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/> Middle East and Africa

Jun 5th 2019

WE ARE looking for a new journalist to strengthen our coverage of
sub-Saharan Africa. The job will be based somewhere in Africa-exactly where
is open for negotiation with the successful candidate. It will involve a lot
of travel.

Applicants should send an original unpublished article of up to 600 words on
an African topic suitable for publication in The Economist, a CV and a cover
letter to  <mailto:africawriter at economist.com> africawriter at economist.com.
The deadline for applications is July 19th 2019.

The article is the most important part of the application. We will read it
blind (ie, without looking at your name or where you are from). If what you
write is not exceptionally good, we will not look at your CV. This is to
ensure that the process is as unbiased and meritocratic as possible.

Anyone is welcome to apply, regardless of citizenship, ethnic origin, sex,
religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. Previous
experience as a journalist is desirable but not essential. What we most want
is original thinking, good analytical skills and, above all, good writing.

 <https://www.economist.com/about-the-economist> About The Economist