[Civsoc-mw] [NYASANET] Johnny Clegg

Tony Thontholani tonytontho at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 14:47:59 CAT 2019

An article on JC.
——

So “out” it was, on the side of a dusty highway in the midst of savannah and December sunshine in central-ish Africa. Within a short while, once the Landie’s engine had sort of cooled down, Johnny climbed onto the front of the Landie and placed his butt in the spare tyre perched on the bonnet of our rather worse-for-wear vehicle. Guitar across his body, Johnny started through some of his then emerging repertoire – with a personal quietness that was so special about him. He sang for much of the two hours until we set off for the Malawi border before it closed for the night. It was Christmas Eve – December 24. He brought peace to us all.

[...]

Quietly, a woman appeared from a nearby village and sat near Johnny – she was in floods of tears. Raised a Zulu, she had married a Malawian miner and come to his home village, near where we now were. She had not heard Zulu ever since, let along Zulu songs sung with the intensity, subtlety and beauty that was Johnny.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-07-18-travelling-with-a-teenage-johnny-clegg-the-voice-of-the-white-zulu-angel/