[Civsoc-mw] [NYASANET] Who was David Kaduya?

Tony Thontholani tonytontho at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 02:51:31 CAT 2019

The book was written by Mwase, not Meade. The  autocorrect at it, again.

John was not only educated - he was educated through and through. He had first class African education [having born rural, at that time ] and the advantage to get western education [at that time ]. Plus, he was a very well travelled man 🧳. Even in our time, John is well travelled.

I think he was radicalised in America. I am using the word radicalised here for want of a better word. I don’t speak English on a daily basis. The racism he saw in the US might have affected him.

At the same time, international political currents, might have added adrenaline in the minds of David Kaduya. One thing the African soldier learnt at the world war zone is that though backed by heavy weaponry, anyone - black or white - can be a coward. No one is superhuman.

I wouldn’t dismiss John, just like that. The fact that we are talking about him, now, a hundred years later - indicates something great about the man. History has not forgotten him.

Achebe’s Okonkwo in “Things Fall Apart” beheads an African head messenger sent by colonials to break up a meeting. The meeting’s agenda was on the injustices coming from the colonials. Despite of praising what should have otherwise been a heroic act, the villagers asked: “Why did he do it?”

Okonkwo, whose fame throughout the nine villages and beyond rested on PERSONAL achievements - decides to hang himself. And this he does.