[Civsoc-mw] Should public nudity be legal?

cammack at mweb.co.za cammack at mweb.co.za
Wed Apr 3 14:55:29 CAT 2019

I recall working in Nsanje among Moz refugees in 1989 and it was very hot. I pulled up my skirt to my knees [showing my knees] to get cooler and my colleague – a mzungu raised in Mw, while I was new to the country – berated me for public indecency! Just then a lady refugee walked by with only a chitenge around her waist, topless, and I thought, wow, how different we view what is publicly acceptable in different societies. Of course, then we had Kamuzu, who would have sent me away I suppose, but still, I think it was a reflection of different attitudes to what is acceptable nakedness.