[Civsoc-mw] NYT Zimbabwe

cammack at mweb.co.za cammack at mweb.co.za
Mon Mar 12 15:13:40 CAT 2018

 <https://www.nytimes.com/pages/opinion/index.html> Opinion | Op-Ed
Contributor

Emmerson Mnangagwa: 'We Are Bringing About the New Zimbabwe'

By EMMERSON DAMBUDZO MNANGAGWA NYT MARCH 11, 2018

Photo

Members of the ruling Zimbabwe African National Union's youth league were
addressed by President Emmerson Mnangagwa on March 7 in the capital, Harare.
Credit Aaron Ufumeli/Epa-Efe/Rex/Shutterstock/Aaron
Ufumeli/Epa-Efe/Rex/Shutterstock

HARARE, Zimbabwe - In November, the Zimbabwean people, led by our youth,
went to the streets peacefully and joyfully, determined to have their voices
heard. They called for freedom, progress and a new way of doing things.
Though supported by the military, this was a popular, peaceful revolution.
Watching the events unfold from exile, I was deeply proud of my fellow
Zimbabweans.

In a major turning point in our history, President Robert Mugabe resigned
and the first transition of power in 37 years followed. On Nov. 24, I took
office as the new president of Zimbabwe. In the past three months, I have
heard the call of my people. I share their vision and am committed to
delivering.

I am working toward building a new Zimbabwe: a country with a thriving and
open economy, jobs for its youth, opportunities for investors, and democracy
and equal rights for all.

We are starting from a difficult position. Today our economy is struggling,
our youth lack opportunities, too many people are unable to afford essential
goods, and our infrastructure is stuck in the past.

Our recovery strategy is based on creating conditions for an investment-led
economic recovery that puts a premium on job creation. In three months, we
have secured $3.1 billion worth of commitments from across the world, which
will create jobs and opportunities.

We are embarking on a journey toward real growth, to empower our people with
skills, opportunities and jobs. We will continue taking bold steps to
liberalize and introduce greater market forces, building an economy in which
enterprise is allowed, encouraged and protected. If we are to succeed in
this global economy, we must empower our entrepreneurs and foster innovation
at every level.

As we put the past behind us and embrace this new dawn, we are calling upon
the international community to join us. The creation of a National Peace and
Reconciliation Committee, which I recently signed into law, will enable us
to move forward now as one united people, part of the greater community of
nations. Whatever misunderstandings we may have had in the past, let these
make way for a new beginning.

Zimbabwe is changing - politically, economically and societally - and we ask
those who have punished us in the past to reconsider their sanctions against
us. Zimbabwe is a land of potential, but it will be difficult to realize it
with the weight of sanctions hanging from our necks.

Newsletter Sign Up

<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/11/opinion/zimbabwe-emmerson-mnangagwa.html
?em_pos=small&emc=edit_ty_20180312&nl=opinion-today&nl_art=4&nlid=66203515&r
ef=headline&te=1#continues-post-newsletter> Continue reading the main story

Sign Up for the Opinion Today Newsletter

Every weekday, get thought-provoking commentary from Op-Ed columnists, the
Times editorial board and contributing writers from around the world.

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Top of Form

In the past three months, my government has taken significant steps to
assuage concerns and assure any skeptics of our intentions. We have
published an ambitious, responsible and stabilizing budget aimed at reducing
our deficits and committing to repaying our debts.

We amended the Indigenization & Economic Empowerment Act, which had
constrained foreign ownership of local businesses and discouraged much
needed investment. We have now removed this constraint in almost all
sectors, sending a clear signal that Zimbabwe is open for business.

I wish to assure everyone that all foreign investments will be safe and
secure in the new Zimbabwe. Transparency and the rule of law will be key. We
have already begun the effort to defeat the corruption that has plagued our
nation, including requiring cabinet ministers to declare their assets and
creating anti-corruption courts. Many Zimbabweans moved their money out of
the country. I offered them amnesty from prosecution if they brought the
money back within three months. Hundreds of millions of dollars have already
been
<https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/250m-returned-to-zimbabwe-after-amnesty-1
3596633> brought back to Zimbabwe.

There are voices both at home and abroad who have sought to convince the
world that nothing has changed in Zimbabwe. I refute those unfair and
unfounded claims and commit that we are bringing about a new era of
transparency, openness and commitment to the rule of law.

We continue to work with civil society to ensure that human rights concerns
are addressed immediately, opening channels of dialogue with opposition
parties, prominent NGOs and international organizations.

I commit that in the new Zimbabwe, all citizens will have the right of free
speech, free expression and free association. At the heart of this will be
free and fair elections, to be held as scheduled in 2018, with all impartial
observers who wish to witness the new Zimbabwean democracy at work welcome
to attend. I extend that invitation once again.

Zimbabwe is changing, and quickly. So in this light I urge the international
community to heed the saying, "when the facts change," change your minds.

We cannot remain hostage to our past but instead must look to the future
hand in hand with our international partners. The new Zimbabwe fully affirms
its place in the family of nations, with all the responsibilities this
entails.

Those who cling to the sanctions are stuck in the old Zimbabwe - the
Zimbabwe of poverty and international isolationism. We are bringing about
the new Zimbabwe - a country of hope and opportunity, a country that engages
with the world and strives toward prosperity.

We invite the international community to partner with us and help us turn
our country around. Together we will unlock Zimbabwe's vast potential and
build a new, prosperous and democratic Zimbabwe for all.

Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa is the president of Zimbabwe.

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on
<https://www.facebook.com/nytopinion> Facebook and
<http://twitter.com/NYTOpinion> Twitter (@NYTopinion), and sign up for the
<http://www.nytimes.com/newsletters/opiniontoday/> Opinion Today newsletter.

A version of this op-ed appears in print on March 12, 2018, in The
International New York Times.
<http://www.nytimes.com/pages/todayspaper/index.html> Today's Paper|