[Civsoc-mw] Fwd: Re: Is Mugabe Outsmarting the Generals?

cuthbertkachale cuthbertkachale at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 14:12:57 CAT 2017

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
From: cuthbertkachale <cuthbertkachale at gmail.com>
Date: 26/11/2017  08:06  (GMT+02:00)
To: trevor chimimba <trevorchimimba at GMAIL.COM>,NYASANET at LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG
Cc: Cuthbert Kachale <cuthbertkachale at gmail.com>
Subject: Re:  Is Mugabe Outsmarting the Generals?

Thank you,  Ba Chimimba.
Just seen the message today.

This was an historical coup in which the army did 90%  of the work and the people finished off the 10% but all within the constitution. Even the president  resigned constitutionally.

There was  no hangover of power  last Friday because Mugabe had no power to hand over. There was no acting president and so Zimbabwe had no president for just over 60 hours.

The people spoke in their millions throughout the country.  Never seen such crowds of people of all races,  colour and  creed so united and speaking with one  voice.  "Mugabe Out".

The military opened a special Pandora's Box for a coup within the constitution. Dictatorships throughout Africa must be shaken.

Special credit goes to Father Mukonori,  SJ (Society of Jesus, or simply Jesuit Priest) for tirelessly chairing the negotiating and mediation team.

Traditionally, Jesuits are associated with great achievement.

Alcuin, the Abbot of Canterbury,  founded arguably the west's first  university,  University of Paris. He also translated The Book of Jasher, missing in the Bible,  from Hebrew to Latin.

Pope Francis,  the first ever Jesuit Pope,  is being expected to make a lot of changes in the Catholic Church,  to  bring it into line with changing times.

When I heard that Father Mukonori was to chair the negotiating team,  l became optimistic for a number of reasons.

We had bumped into each other during the mid1990s. We talked briefly about the Malawi Bishops Conference Pastoral Letter,  which the Catholic Church in Zimbabwe got a copy.  He commended the work done by the Catholic Bishops in Malawi. Obviously,  the cry to remove Mugabe required Devine Intervention. If God did it for Malawi,  He could do the same for. The cry to remove Mugabe had  gone on for decades, but it would appear,  at God's, His time was ripe,  and His servant,  Father Mukonori  was given the mandate to  carry out a process of change where despite heavy artillery in the streets throughout the country, no one got killed or injured.

I twas the voice of reason,  the voice and cries of the people that were heard and answered.

Father Mukonori was a member of the Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace that, together with Zimbabwe Legal Resources Foundation,  probed and reported on the Matabeleland Massacres which saw  more than 20 000 Ndebeles butchered mercilessly by Mugabe  between 1983-87 using a hastily created and North Korean trained 5th Brigade which was NOT  part of the regular army.

Their report: Building Bridges: Matabeleland Massacres, is online.

For these and other reasons,  l was optimistic that the coup which respected the constitution would see its logical conclusion. There was no way out. Mugabe deserved the red card.  He wanted his promiscuous wife,  who since the 1980s, became the United  Tastes of  Zimbabwe,  to succeed him.

Notwithstanding the above. Mugabe was silently purging the military. The next victim was going to be General Chiwenga. Chiwenga,  Mnangagwa and Chihuri (some of you may remember his brother Wilbert Chihuri who at one time was General Manager at Press Furnishers) fought the liberation war together.  In politics from 1980  to 1990, Mnangagwa was their boss as minister,  responsible for security. So the three are inseparable.

Mugabe sent Chiwenga to China and the Director of Military Operations to some AU assignment just to pave the way for firing Mnangagwa.

Mnangagwa was fired with no one to make military decisions on the ground.
Immediately security around Mnangagwa was removed and it was arranged that he be killed.  Mnangagwa escaped through an army operated border post to Beira in Mozambique,  from there he flew to Johannesburg.

As Chiwenga was returning from China, Mugabe had arranged that Chiwenga be nabbed by the secret service and be disposed of.

The military intelligence (MI), the sharpest in the country,  got wind of it.

On Chiwenga' the MI infiltrated the airport in disguise by wearing civil aviation uniforms.

Upon disembarking the plane, Chiwenga was approached by plain clothes men who wanted to take him away.  The MI overan the plot and captured the secret service men. I understand over a hundred secret police have been nabbed countryside.

In 2015, four generals died one after the other all under mysterious circumstances.

In April 2012,  14 soldiers of the Presidential Guard Unit, probably fade up with Mugabe,   organised themselves into a crack commando unit to capture and kill Mugabe.  They dug out a  tunnel under the wall of the State House but were caught before action.

There were summarily executed by firing squad.  This was reported in NEWSDAY of 6 April 2012.

So it waa not only the masses that were sick and tired of Mugabe. It was the whole population, including his own party ZANU-PF.

Thank you for your patience.

Mzee.

Sent from Samsung Mobile