[Civsoc-mw] Zimbabwe Situation e-briefing website

Louis Nthenda louisnthenda at gmail.com
Tue May 23 22:43:14 CAT 2017

Bwana a Ndalama,
I'm not sure that I understand your reason for getting a distinction for
your essay. on Federation. You seem to be saying:
a) the essay was pro-federation
b) you yourself were pro-federation
c) the teacher who marked the essay was pro-federation

I think these should have been irrelevant in evaluating your essay.

I grew up during Federation days. And like most young people of my
generation I was anti-Federation. If I had been you teacher then and had
read your essay I would have given you a distinction only if :
a) you showed a clear understanding of the pro-federation case and stated
it fairly and comprehensively
b) you then showed a clear understanding of the anti-federation case and
stated it fairly and comprehensively
c) you came up with a way of reconciling the two sides, imagining yourself
for example as an arbitrator or you produced an original third way. It's
this c) that would have propelled you into 1st class honours. Your actual
position should have taken precedence.

The essay is for training purposes in thinking as an intellectual activity.

Whether you you and I were actually pro-fed or anti-fed shouldn't feature
in my assessment. If your teacher gave you a distinction just because you
were on his side and you only gave the pro-federation side, then I'm afraid
your distinction is suspect.