[Civsoc-mw] This map shows where it is still illegal to be gay

Adamson S. Muula amuula at medcol.mw
Sun May 14 20:05:18 CAT 2017

Dear Tony,

Last time I checked, our laws didn't say that being gay was illegal. I do
not had the specific language of the law with me now but my interpretation
of the law was that the "world"out there and sometimes ourselves exaggerate
what the laws say. Being "gay" if interpreted as being sexually attracted
to an individual of your own sex, is not illegal in Malawi.
I was meant to understand that our laws are to the extent that sex against
the order of nature is what is prohibited in Malawi. Now in my class
teaching on sexually transmitted infections, I ask my students whether,
taking my interpretation, will also make some (perhaps)  many men and women
having sex with the opposite sex but perhaps against the "order of nature"
liable of prosecution. I base this suggestion on some of the findings on
the following paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19194602

In this paper, some men reported having relations with women through/in
anatomical sites just as they would have with fellow men (euphemism of
course but trying to be a decent person!)

On 13 May 2017 at 18:20, Tony Thontholani <tonytontho at yahoo.com> wrote:

> https://www.indy100.com/article/map-countries-illegal-
> gay-lgbt-bisexual-trans-global-human-rights-7623586

Adamson S. Muula PhD, MPH, MBBS, CPH
Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
University of Malawi, College of Medicine
School of Public Health and Family Medicine
Department of Public Health
Chimutu Building Room 850
Private Bag 360, Chichiri
Blantyre 3