[Civsoc-mw] Malawi Law on receiving advance payments - prepaid - registrars for .mw domains

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Wed Jun 28 12:43:32 CAT 2017

It seems then that there is agreement by both Christopher Chibwana and Pat Chi, that we
do not have such specific law in Malawi as they have, thankfully, commented here below.

It must mean then that, sadly, we at SDNP have to comply with or bend to multiple
juridictions of the more than 25 requesting registrars worldwide.

I had hoped that this could have been covered under the Payment Systems (Act) Bill, if
that has been passed. Does it have any coverage of this at all?

Regards,

Paulos
======================
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD
http://www.registrar.mw

On 27 Jun 2017 at 20:48, Pat Chi <pmchinguwo at gmail.com> wrote:

> the law allows prepayment for both goods and services. for example
> Sell of Goods Act. however the law of contracts , which has no Act i.e
> it is not codified, does regulate the issue of prepayments of
> services.
>
> Patrick

advance payments for services like prepaid or such like services that require advance
payments.

> My organization, Malawi SDNP, operates the registry for .mw domains on the Internet
and we have now moved to full automation where we are accrediting registrars for .mw
domain nationally as well as internationally.

> It has come to our attention that in some countries where we have registrars, there
are legal requirements for receiving advance payments for prepaid services. SDNP needs
to reconcile those requirements with the legal framework in Malawi.

> We would appreciate any input on Malawi legal requirements for prepaid services or on
payments made in advance for a service.