[Civsoc-mw] The weird power of the placebo effect, explained

Tony Thontholani tonytontho at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 15:13:06 CAT 2017

Belief is the oldest medicine known to man.

For millennia, doctors, caregivers, and healers had known that sham treatments made for happy customers. Thomas Jefferson himself marveled at the genius behind the placebo. “One of the most successful physicians I have ever known has assured me that he used more bread pills, drops of colored water, powders of hickory ashes than of all other medicines put together,” Jefferson wrote in 1807. “It was certainly a pious fraud.”

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/7/15792188/placebo-effect-explained